Saturday, April 27, 2013

Confessions of a waiter...

Some of you may or may not know this, but since we moved to NC I have been waiting tables at an Olive Garden in Wake Forest - and if I am completely honest, it is the most fun job I think I have ever had!

I truly love my job, but every once in awhile I have the need to vent some of the frustrations we waiters/servers endure - and this blog seems like a healthy space to vent.

Here are some common frustrations of the service industry:

#1 - People who don't tip well, regardless of service!  I only make $2/hr and all of that goes to the government, so if you don't tip me, I don't make money.  A respectable tip for good service is 20%.  If you can't afford to tip, don't come to the restaurant!

#2 - Small children who DESTROY the surrounding area with cheerios, breadsticks, sugar packs, small animals, and whatever else they get their hands on.  I understand that kids make messes (I have 3 of them) but is it that hard to at least ATTEMPT to pick up after them???*

#3 - Arriving at the restaurant 40 minutes before the rest of your party and DEMANDING to be seated.  For real?!?! Be patient and wait for the rest of your party, don't waste my table and my time, I need to earn a living.

#4 - People who order "extra" lemons for their water and than add sugar to it to make their own NASTY lemonade.  Come on now, don't be cheap, we sell lemonade, just buy yourself a glass!

#5 - Patrons who decide to come into a dining establishment 20 minutes before close and eat an appetizer, dinner and dessert.  Take it to go, I wanna go home!**

#6 - People who leave "tracts" as a tip, or write "Jesus loves you" on the tip receipt - that's not witnessing and you either missed an opportunity or offended an unbeliever when you do this!  Man up and share your faith and engage with your waiter if you want to witness - we will be willing to talk, just take the time and make it happen!

#7 - Guests who refuse to make eye contact, spend the whole time on their cell phones, or simply treat the waiter like a grunt and not a person.  I got feelings to, Jack, how bout you hang up the phone and make some eye contact!

#8 - Teenagers.  Your young, spending someone else's money and think everything is funny or dirty - grow up, get a job and stop being annoying.

#9 - People who eat their entire dinner and THEN decided to complain to the manager about the food quality and demand free food.  We know your game, it works, but don't be like that - it makes you lame!

#10 - Dropping a $100 bill on me. Come on now; break that somewhere else - all I got is a little coin purse and no time to run around trying to play that game

* A combination of #1 and #2 may cause an aneurism in your waiter, please don't be those people!

** A combination of #1,2,5 is just plain evil


No comments: